Manx Telecom Parish Walk 2019
The Manx Telecom sponsored Parish Walk event will be held on Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd June 2019. It’s an 85 mile walking race that takes in all 17 parish churches on the Isle of Man. The first Parish Walk took place as a challenge between neighbours over 100 years ago and was a major event for the early years of the last century. It died out and was revived in 1960 when the modern Parish Walk adopted the route that we now recognise. Since then the race has grown in size and prominence and has become the largest mass-participation sporting event on the Island. It now attracts over 1,500 walkers annually, all of whom hope to become a Parish Walk finisher by completing the course in 24 hours or less.
The race starts at the NSC in Douglas and winds its way around the south of the Island before heading north and finishing back in Douglas on the seafront promenade. The record holders is Richard Gerrard in an astonishing time of 14 hours, 40 minutes and 8 seconds set in 2015. Most entrants are hoping to reach one of the intermediary check in points at the earlier churches and every walker receives a certificate stating the distance walked and time taken.
Visit IOM's handy travel packages are ideal for anyone travelling over to take part in the event - offering comfortable ferry or air travel from a choice of ports in the UK and Ireland, choose to stay for a long weekend or why not extend your break to give yourself time to recover in the beautiful surroundings of the Isle of Man after the walk?
You can choose how much of the course you complete, and whether you walk on your own or as part of a team of four. Full course finishers receive a finisher’s award with additional prizes for individuals and teams.
Entrants receive a free programme at registration which will also be available to download. Walkers who reach Santon will receive a certificate to recognise their achievement. A time limit of 24 hours is given, and there are cut-off times for reaching each stage.
There are 17 parish churches around the course and your time will be recorded at each parish. The full distance will be subject to time limits. The time taken to reach each church is recorded on an electronic timing system which is displayed on the internet and can be transmitted to two mobile phone numbers of your choice by SMS, by Manx Telecom Timing.
Entries open 1st December 2018 and close on 5th May 2019. For additional information and entry into the Parish Walk, please click here
- Return air or sea travel to the Isle of Man
- Accommodation of your choice
Please note, entry into the event is not included. Entry information can be found on the Parish Walk website.
Walkers who intend to go beyond Ballaugh will require a support car (approx. 42 miles)
Important Information - you must read this before booking
The lead-in price quoted for this offer is per person based on two adult foot passengers sailing from Liverpool on 21st June 2019, staying in a twin room at the Trevelyan Hotel for 2 nights. The price was correct as at 12th February 2019.
This package is operated by Visit IOM. When making a booking you are accepting our Terms & Conditions of business.
There are additional special terms which apply to this holiday. By making a booking, you agree that you accept all of these terms:
- Full payment for your travel arrangements is required at the time of booking. Once booked, the travel costs are entirely non-refundable.
- Entry into the event is not included.
- If you need to make any changes to your travel arrangements, please contact us and we will do our best to assist. However in many cases changes may not be permitted, and any changes which can be made are likely to incur extra costs.
- If you intend to travel with a motor vehicle, please note that the maximum vehicle dimensions are as follows: Cars 1.8 metres high x 5 metres long; Motorhomes 3.4 metres high x 6 metres long. A maximum vehicle weight of 4 tonnes applies. For vehicles above these limits, please call us on 01624 654654 for further guidance.
- Travel insurance is not included, but we strongly advise you to take comprehensive travel insurance to cover any unforeseen eventualities such as cancellation or weather-related delays. If you need to arrange travel insurance please contact us.
- Entry into the event is not included. Please visit www.parishwalk.com for further details on how to enter.
- Can’t find what you’re looking for? If you wish to travel from a port not featured under this offer, please call us on 01624 654654.